Public Relations Coordinator
The Public Relations Coordinator will work closely with the public relations director to provide support with media relations, social media and multimedia storytelling. This will include developing and executing communication strategies that result in increased understanding and support of Valencia’s mission, and that also integrate with marketing and student engagement objectives.
1. Research and write news releases, pitches and feature stories about programs and students at Valencia, for distribution to the media and the general public via the college’s news site, magazine and social media channels.
2. Respond to media inquiries with timely and accurate information.
3. Monitor and draft reports on traditional and non-traditional media coverage, including blogs and social media mentions.
4. Update and maintain media lists using third-party database.
5. Maintain an annual calendar of specific stories planned for external distribution.
6. Research College and third-party data and information as background for writing assignments.
7. Maintain college fact sheets for use by members of the college community, the general public and the media.
8. Develop and maintain a list of faculty and staff willing to serve as expert sources for stories.
9. Assist in monitoring the college’s social media accounts, providing timely response to inquiries and identifying potential problems that need resolution.
10. Assist in planning and managing college events that are likely to draw media interest; help coordinate social media coverage at those events.
11. Participate in college committees and work groups, as requested, to assist with PR needs.
1. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution [required], preferably in public relations, communication, journalism or related field.
2. Two years (minimum) experience in writing news and feature stories, including experience working with news media and/or senior public relations account services [required].
3. Experience in writing news and feature articles within tight deadlines. [published clips/portfolio required]
4. Experience in coordinating social media projects and working within deadlines.
5. Valid driver’s license, reliable personal transportation and proof of automobile insurance may be required.
6. The college anticipates that the person filling this position will need to be available throughout the workday and, on some occasions, after regular work hours. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the employee is expected to be available by cell phone and is required to provide their current cell phone number to the Human Resources Department and to their immediate supervisor.
7. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings or weekends, as needed.
8. A demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
9. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Demonstrated ability to write news and feature articles that are crisp, clear and well-crafted, within time constraints.
2. Knowledge of AP style.
3. Ability to work independently and show initiative in executing assignments.
4. Ability to effectively and efficiently manage numerous projects and responsibilities simultaneously.
5. Ability to travel to and from various locations, including campus sites.
6. Adept at using social media platforms for story amplification and engagement.
7. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team and across departments.
8. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; type/keyboard; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Employee must on occasion lift/move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.