Responsible for supporting the instructional program by assisting students, faculty, and staff in the use of the Library and related information resources. Provides instruction to support the development of information literacy and critical thinking. Plans, organizes, teaches, and provides feedback to promote and direct student learning in keeping with Valencia's learningcentered values and in a manner that meets the essential competencies of a Valencia educator. Engages students outside of class in support of the curriculum and co-curriculum; provides thorough, timely, and effective feedback to students regarding the mastery of course and program learning outcomes; develops curriculum and works collaboratively with colleagues to choose program and library resources, including collection development; assists in the selection, development, and evaluation of Librarians; participates in and/or leads the activities and governance of the discipline, division, campus, and college; and collaborates with relevant academic discipline and community partners in support of institutional effectiveness and student learning.
1. Prepares and delivers instruction to students, faculty and staff in the use of information resources and technologies in various modalities (including individual, group, classroom, hybrid, online, etc.). Prepares instructional materials. Provides feedback and follows up on students' progress.
2. Assists students, faculty, and staff in locating, evaluating and accessing information.
3. Prepares and submits required documentation and other information as requested or required by the college.
4.. Develops instructional programs and training materials promoting information literacy and critical thinking techniques. Participates in, and contributes to curriculum development by planning, developing, and evaluating new and existing courses and curriculum, as applicable.
5. Participates in collection development activities. Assists in planning and developing ways to provide better access to information.
6. Provides guidance, training and/or direction to library staff and/or Staff employees as applicable.
7. Serves as liaison to campus academic departments and develops library partnerships with faculty and staff.
8. Maintains behavior and actions consistent with college policies. Participates in developing and implementing college policies, guiding principles, objectives and functions in accordance with the philosophy of the college.
9. Works closely with library staff, Director, and/or Dean to develop, implement, evaluate, and improve library services.
10. Participates in department meetings, serves on committees, and participates in other college activities and library organizations.
11. Maintains and disseminates current information pertaining to services available to the college community.
12. Maintains professional development/growth according to personal needs and in fulfillment of annual performance development plans.
13. Supervises staff as approved and assigned by the dean/director.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master's degree [required] in Library Science from a regionally accredited college or university with an ALA accredited program.
2. Reference experience in an academic library preferred.
3. Experience in library instruction and conducting library research.
4. Light (under 15 pounds) lifting and carrying.
5. Professional commitment to education.
6. A demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
7. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
8. Ability to work evening and/or weekend hours and travel between campus locations as required.
1. Knowledge and understanding of learning-centered values.
2. Knowledge of the principles and practices of collection development and evaluation.
3. Ability to design learning opportunities that promote student life skills development while enhancing discipline learning. Demonstrated understanding of developmental advising (Valencia's LifeMap) and competency-based learning (LifeMap).
4. Ability to develop and implement diverse teaching and learning strategies that accommodate the learning styles of students and that promote both acquisition and applications of knowledge and understanding (Learning Centered Teaching Strategies).
5. Ability to use consistent, timely formative and summative assessment measures to enhance learning (Assessment).
6. Ability to design learning opportunities that acknowledge, draw upon and are enriched by student diversity in the learning environment (Inclusion and Diversity).
7. Ability to design and implement curriculum that aligns elements of student learning toward growth in the Student Core Competencies (Outcomes-Based Practice).
8. Commitment to stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the discipline (Professional Commitment).
9. Ability to continuously examine the effectiveness of teaching, librarianship and assessment methodologies in terms of student learning by engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning).
10. Knowledge of, ability to develop, and commitment to use emerging technologies and alternative delivery methods appropriately, including online delivery, hybrid course options, content software, web-enhancements, etc.
11. Skill in the use of personal computers, general office software, and related electronic resources.
12. Ability to provide guidance and direction to library staff and student workers.
13. Ability to effectively communicate interpersonally (in group and one-on-one settings), orally, and in writing.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; type/keyboard; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Employee must on occasion lift/move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.