Performs landscape and hardscape maintenance duties using the proper equipment, supplies and horticultural procedures so that the campus maintains an aesthetically pleasing and safe condition at all times.
1. Grounds Management: Provide timely, professional routine maintenance of Central Florida turf, shrubs, groundcover and bedding plants keeping them in optimal condition through the use of proper horticultural practices and manual and power landscape equipment. Minimum of 1 year experience using gas pruners/shears, stick edger’s, backpack blowers, z-turn and walk-behind mowers, chain saws, hand pruners, hand saws, hedge trimmers and other equipment common in the maintenance of aesthetically pleasing and safe ornamental and native landscapes. Removing weeds, invasive plants, and miscellaneous debris from beds and tree rings. Pruning plant materials in accordance with Florida Grades and Standards and acceptable horticultural practices. Scouting and reporting any physical, pest, or cultural damage and assisting in removing and replacing plant material and installing new landscape projects.
2. Hardscape Management: Utilize hand and power equipment to maintain clean and safe hardscapes throughout campus including parking lots, sidewalks, patios, building entrances and streets. Reporting damage to sidewalks and streets and assisting in the repair of concrete and paver hardscapes as needed. Perform routine pressure washing to maintain vertical and horizontal hard surfaces in clean condition. Removal of graffiti, stickers, signage, etc. to maintain pleasing and safe environment.
3. Policing/Solid Waste Removal/Recycling: Remove litter, debris, and miscellaneous items from turf, beds and hardscapes throughout campus. Service trash receptacles by replacing garbage bags and depositing refuse into dumpsters. Ensures that recycling is retrieved and placed in the proper receptacles for collection.
4. Irrigation: Assist with irrigation monitoring, inspection, installation and repairs as needed. Hand watering of areas not covered by automatic irrigation.
5. Meetings/Education: Attend department meetings intended to present operational, safety and horticultural topics to all Grounds Department members. Attend other continuing education opportunities including field trips, on/off site presentations, etc.
6. Equipment Maintenance: Proper usage and storage of all equipment. Report any needed repairs for malfunctioning or damaged equipment and removing them from the equipment inventory until they are functioning properly. Experienced in sharpening blades, changing trimmer string, maintaining fluid levels and other basic routine maintenance on all power equipment.
7. Safety: Practice safe work habits including the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Use of equipment and supplies in a manner that prevents personal injury, injury to others or damage to property.
8. Emergency Preparedness/Clean Up: Ensure the campus is ready for, and cleaned up after weather-related emergencies.
9. Furniture Moving: Move furniture, event set up related items as needed.
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum of one (1) year prior experience in the use of hand and power equipment, mowers, etc. in the maintenance of Central Florida landscapes.
2. Experience in multi-location landscape maintenance, involving working with an open flatbed trailer, loading and securing equipment, and time management (preferred).
3. High school diploma or GED required.
4. Must possess a valid driver’s license from any state at the time of hire, and able to acquire a State of Florida Driver’s License within sixty (60) days of hire. The FLDL must be maintained in good standing to meet essential requirements of job
5. Willing to pursue continuing education or pursue landscaping-related certifications as needed.
6. Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
7. Ability to follow oral and/or written directions in English working independently or in groups.
8. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Ability to identify common Central Florida plant material and experienced in installation and maintenance of trees, shrubs, groundcover/turf.
2. Knowledge of common landscape and hardscape construction and maintenance equipment, tools, tasks and procedures, and the ability to drive company utility vehicles.
3. Customer service driven with a desire to exceed expectations and support the vision, mission, goals and objectives of Valencia College.
4. Utilize time management to complete tasks in a timely fashion while striving for quality results.
5. Ability to read and write in English sufficiently enough to communicate effectively and follow written and oral instructions in English.
6. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
1. Ability to walk, stand, lift, bend, and reach repetitively for extended periods of time.
2. Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
3. Work in prolonged exposure to adverse weather conditions including cold, heat, humidity, and rain.
4. Potential exposure to all types of plants, chemicals, fertilizers, and particulate material.